[ONLINE WEBINAR] KGRI2040 "Platform & 2040 Problem" Project Symposium : CCRC/KGRI2040/JST Joint Event "The Change of Media and Democracy in the Digital Society" (December 20, 2021)2021.11.25
Co-hosted by: - KGRI Research Project Keio 2040, Keio University - Cyber Civilization Research Center (CCRC), Keio University - Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
Social networks and online news platforms have become one of the primary media to access and share information. Those platforms adopt the "Attention Economy" business model, which publishes content only users pay attention to. It is being criticized for leading to the emerging political tribalism, as it reinforces users' views and makes other opinions ever more alien. This symposium will discuss the change of media and how it affects the concept of democracy in the digital society and examine the actual possibility of democracy and how it could be sustained.
Event information ＊This event is changed to ONLINE FORMAT in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. Please visit this event page for the latest updates.
Date & Time: December 20, 2021 | 21:00-23:00 JST (7:00-9:00 EST) Venue: ZOOM Webinar Fee: Free
Registration is closed as we have reached the our maximum capacity
Click here to view the event poster
＊Simultaneous Translation will be provided
- Opening Remarks by Kohei Itoh (President of Keio University)
- Keynote Speech by Lawrence Lessig, Roy L. Furman Professor of Law and Leadership, Harvard Law School
- Keynote Speech by Yusuke Narita, Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Yale University
- Panel Discussion Moderator: Jiro Kokuryo, Professor, Faculty of Policy Studies/Program Supervisor, JST-RISTEX Research Area "Human Information Technology Ecosystem"
- Commentary: Tatsuya Kurosaka, Project Associate Professor, Faculty of Media and Governance Tatsuhiko Yamamoto, Professor, Law School & Deputy Director, KGRI Hiroshi Nakagawa, RIKEN/Representative, JST-RISTEX Research Area "Human Information Technology Ecosystem"
- Closing Remarks by David Farber (Co-Director, CCRC & Distinguished Professor)
Enquiry Keio Global Research Institute (KGRI), Keio University Research Project Keio 2040 Email: kgri-2040pj[at]adst.keio.ac.jp Please replace [at] to @ in the email address.